Everyone needs this savory, fatty dish in their lives. Crispy pork belly on a bed of fried rice cooked in pork belly fat is heavy, indulgent and delicious. The rice is lightly tossed in soy sauce and veggies, and the pork belly adds a nice chew to the whole dish. The duck fat is totally unnecessary but our family tends to be a little extra.
Pork Belly Fried RiceInspired by a recipe from Healing Gourmet 4 to 6 servings
1 lb. pork belly 2 tsp. garlic powder, divided 1 tsp. kosher salt 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper ½ cup chicken broth ¼ cup rice wine 2 Tbsp. duck fat 2 eggs 1 green bell pepper, chopped 1 red bell pepper, chopped 1 yellow bell pepper, chopped ½ small onion, chopped ¼ cup peas 1½ cups cooked day-old white rice 1 Tbsp. soy sauce ½ Tbsp. sesame oil Handful chopped green onions
Special equipment: Pressure cooker or Instant Pot
• Rub the fatty side of the pork belly with 1 teaspoon garlic powder, salt and black pepper.
• Add the broth and rice wine into an Instant pot or pressure cooker, then place the pork belly in the pot fatty-side up. Cook on high pressure 1 hour 20 minutes.
• Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
• Add the duck fat to a cast-iron or heavy-bottomed stainless-steel skillet over medium heat. When the fat begins to sizzle, add the pork belly fatty side down.
• Roast at least 20 minutes or longer for crisper skin. Transfer to a cutting board and let rest.
• Transfer 2 tablespoons fat from the skillet to a large wok. Discard the remaining fat. Place the wok over high heat until the fat begins to shimmer, about 1 minute.
• Add the eggs and stir constantly with a wooden spoon to scramble, about 2 minutes. Add the bell peppers, onion and peas and stir-fry until softened, about 2 minutes.
• Add the rice, soy sauce and the remaining 1 teaspoon garlic powder. Stir the rice occasionally, mixing it with the vegetables and sauce, about 5 minutes. Season to taste with soy sauce or hot sauce. Stir in the sesame oil and remove from heat.
• Evenly divide the fried rice among serving bowls. Top each with a few pork belly slices and chopped green onions.